User login

AC: B Pros and Cons. A Review Of Sorts

18 replies [Last post]
LadyVe's picture
LadyVe
Offline
Citizen
female
The Netherlands
Joined: 11/04/2009

Hey there,

Hey people,

That's it, I've played Brotherhood. It's been a satisfying experience. It was a great game, though I honestly think it wasn't as great as it would've been. So, just for those who want my opinion on it, here it is:

PROS:

- Beautiful graphics.

- Great voice acting (though Machiavelli still sounds a bit stilted).

- Multiplayer is very original and addictive.

- Jaw-dropping WTF-ending (though whether it's really good remains to be seen until ACIII)

- Fun missions.

- Recruiting and using your Assassins is great!

- Great fighting mechanics, more of a challenge.

CONS:

- The full synchronization conditions: if conditions to do a certain mission remain in the future games, that's fine, but let fulfilling conditions be optional to win you extra items or money or cutscenes or something. The fact that it messes up your synchronization is kind of a pain in the butt (even if all you get from full synch are the Cristina missions, more about that later). One of the reasons I like the AC series is that I can do a mission however the hell I want. That I have to do something a certain way to get a full 100% is like a ball and chain to your ankle at times.

- Cristina sequences: not neccesarily a con, but not really useful and/or interesting, seeing how we only saw her once in AC as Ezio's bootie call. It's a bit late to now claim she was important, even if it was in the ACII novel. Also, they're really badly written. In the scene where she dies, I actually ended up laughing like an idiot because it all seemed so hammy and over the top. "Requiescat im pace, my love..."

- The overall story of this game is weaker than that of other AC games and feels even rushed at times. Also, it's rather short and feels a bit like Ezio fanservice sometimes, as if only the least interesting side characters were brought in just so Ezio would look even more 'amazing' in comparison.

- Horse mechanics: They are rather choppy sometimes. I already thought it was a nightmare riding around Romagna with them in ACII. Don't even get me started on using them in a place like Rome.

I think that briefly sums up my likes that and dislikes for the game. I hope this helps anyone who still contemplates buying it. Smile

LadyVe.

"You're more full of wind than a horse with cholic"- John Marston.

Arrrogance's picture
Arrrogance
Offline
Citizen
male
Georgia
Joined: 06/30/2010

My horse gets stick on 1 inch cliffs lol (: ill live with it though. I prefer to run everywhere just for the easy controls. i only use horses if im going across a plain, without hills or cliffs or anything besides plain. im also addicted to leveling my recruits

btw im having trouble where you have to follow the michello or something. Something about costumes lol

Icefire's picture
Icefire
Offline
Citizen
male
St. Louis
Joined: 11/16/2010

I agree that the horse mechanics are messed up sometimes, but I personally don't like using horses, so it's not that big a deal for me.

Inconspicous: because nobody suspects the guy with all the weapons

Arrrogance's picture
Arrrogance
Offline
Citizen
male
Georgia
Joined: 06/30/2010

i only use horses cuz they go a bit faster than ezio can free-run. in towns they're impossible though. i travel by roof in towns anyway

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009
LadyVe wrote:
- The full synchronization conditions: if conditions to do a certain mission remain in the future games, that's fine, but let fulfilling conditions be optional to win you extra items or money or cutscenes or something. The fact that it messes up your synchronization is kind of a pain in the butt (even if all you get from full synch are the Cristina missions, more about that later). One of the reasons I like the AC series is that I can do a mission however the hell I want. That I have to do something a certain way to get a full 100% is like a ball and chain to your ankle at times.

You admit it's optional, yet you call it a ball and chain? Puzzled I fail to see the problem here.

LadyVe wrote:
In the scene where she dies

Thanks for the spoiler, by the way. Tongue

LadyVe's picture
LadyVe
Offline
Citizen
female
The Netherlands
Joined: 11/04/2009

What I mean to say is, the price for not following the conditions for of a mission is too great. You basically get 'less points' for doing the one thing I always enjoyed about the Assassin's Creed series: being creative.
What I love about the series is that you could go about a mission in any way you liked and still win. You were more on your own. Now, it's like the game puts a leash on you and says: "You will do what I say or you will fail half the mission." That kind of annoys me. In all truth, I actually like the multiplayer of AC: B way more than the story mode for that reason. It's actual Assassin's Creed stuff: sneaking, stabbing, running and encouragement to be creative in how you go about it.

As for the 'spoiler', it's not really one. This is actually in the novel of Assassin's Creed II and they shoved it in this game because of filler/it didn't fit in ACII. And if you think about reading Assassin's Creed: Renaissance... Well, let's just say it's more glorified mediocre fanfiction than an actual novel. You want good game novels, read the work of Karen Traviss about Gears of War.

"You're more full of wind than a horse with cholic"- John Marston.

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009

I think you're overreacting. You're not 'failing half the mission'. You can always do it anyway you like, which is exactly what you're asking for. But if you want to do it the way Ezio actually did it, then you are more in sync with his life for doing so. I can't imagine a more accurate (or poetic) way for it to work.

It seems your issue lies with the fact that you're not getting full sync percentage. Technically you shouldn't if your actions differed from the actual events Desmond is trying to relive. But why does that even matter? Sync is just a number. There's no cost to not having full sync other than not having access to those missions you loathe.

I still don't see the problem here. Smile

Giga's picture
Giga
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 11/11/2009

And you can replay missions anyway , once with 100% once without Smile

La verit' e' scritta con il sangue
LadyVe's picture
LadyVe
Offline
Citizen
female
The Netherlands
Joined: 11/04/2009

I don't have a problem with not getting the full synch, but I think the games worked fine without such a gimmick. It just annoys me that they basically suggest there is a 'best way' instead of 'anyway you want'. And the fact that I find the Cristina sequences hilariously bad has little to do with that.

"You're more full of wind than a horse with cholic"- John Marston.

Asaic's picture
Asaic
Offline
Citizen
male
Canada
Joined: 11/11/2009

It's not a 'best way', it's 'the way it actually happened'. It's definitely not gimmicky. It's just something additional for people to strive for if they want, and can ignore if they don't.

Leo K's picture
Leo K
Offline
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

I agree with Asaic.
I actually love the little "Full Synch" bonuses.
Because AC games are kinda.. I don't know, I feel as if they're WAY TOO EASY.
And so anything that can make them harder, I'll do.

Jack-Reacher's picture
Jack-Reacher
Offline
Citizen
male
NZ
Joined: 02/07/2010

If I fail a full synch because I didnt want to do it that way, I dont stress over it. It gives me more of a reason to replay the missions later.

PatrickDeneny's picture
PatrickDeneny
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 05/24/2010

The full sync can be frustrating at times but I personally believe it's a brilliant addition which encourages people to make use of the replay mission option.

Oh, and I don't care if you think "it's not really a spoiler", it is. So thanks Stare

LisaMurphy's picture
LisaMurphy
Offline
Administrator
female
California
Joined: 03/20/2010
LadyVe wrote:
As for the 'spoiler', it's not really one. This is actually in the novel of Assassin's Creed II . . .

I have to disagree with you there. Not everyone reads the novel (novels?) or other associated materials - for instance, me. That was a spoiler.

I apologise in advance if you think I'm piling on, but I know that you are a writer and so would naturally be interested in pursuing the written versions of the story. But that's not true of everyone and if you could just keep that in mind, it would be much appreciated.

"Now you shall get an earful of my beloved sword! Behold, Pillow Talk! Let's rock, baby!"

LoreTime's picture
LoreTime
Offline
Citizen
male
South West UK
Joined: 12/04/2010
LisaMurphy wrote:
LadyVe wrote:
As for the 'spoiler', it's not really one. This is actually in the novel of Assassin's Creed II . . .

I have to disagree with you there. Not everyone reads the novel (novels?) or other associated materials - for instance, me. That was a spoiler.

I apologise in advance if you think I'm piling on, but I know that you are a writer and so would naturally be interested in pursuing the written versions of the story. But that's not true of everyone and if you could just keep that in mind, it would be much appreciated.

I couldn't agree more, Lisa. How ridiculous to say something isn't a spoiler because it's written elsewhere.

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

I understand LadyVe's point. If I failed a 100% sync, It always bugged me when that "YOU F*CKIN' FAILED!!!" message and "only 50% sync" came up while I was in the moment. I agree that Ubi should at least make a 100% sync mode for AC3 so we don't feel pressured to do everything "the right way" whenever we play through missions.

I actually do miss AC1's "do it yourself" atmosphere. I liked going in blind, not knowing what to expect. When you were sent on a mission, the objective was just "Assassinate *this person*" and you had to adapt to the situation no matter what (which is what Assassins were known for, besides assassinating people).

LadyVe, I agree with you (except for the spoiler) and applaud your opinion. Rob's applause We can only hope for Ubi to rework the game for a future sequel so all we have is the clothes and blades on our backs/wrists.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

Leo K's picture
Leo K
Offline
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

Joey, you're a genius.
More game-modes would be a perfect addition to Assassin's Creed.
A 100% Synch Mode, Time Trial Mode, and even Survival Mode would be pretty cool.
Just more stuff you know?
So all those "Mysterious Deaths", "Blitzes", "Anonymous Assassinations" and such would actually have game modes associated with them. I REALLY like that idea. Also, having a Replay option for Multiplayer would be kinda nice. But then again, this is a StarCraft player talking so I could just be too used to certain options Laughing out loud

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010
DarkAlphabetZoup wrote:
Joey, you're a genius.

Why thank you. Cool

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

Leo K's picture
Leo K
Offline
male
Toronto, Canada
Joined: 12/30/2009

Hehe, no problemo.