User login

Now Ezio Can Get Back Up!

46 replies [Last post]
previously vegetable's picture
previously vegetable
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 04/21/2011
EzioAltair17's picture
EzioAltair17
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 05/31/2011

lol nice

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which

AssassinGuy23's picture
AssassinGuy23
Offline
Citizen
male
usa
Joined: 07/27/2011

well...

sync's picture
sync
Offline
Citizen
france
Joined: 06/13/2011

Funny how Ubisoft tried to subtly point out the obvious without breaking the 4th wall. I would have been less surprised to hear Ezio say "Cool, a checkpoint" instead of these unnatural lines. Tongue

Calvar The Blade's picture
Calvar The Blade
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 11/21/2010

Pretty sure they're Ezio thoughts. I like seeing how the environment changes to create a natural checkpoint, and I can easily dispel any doubts by remembering that the animus is designed to help people stay in sync, and may have manufactured some of those moments.

the posts a bit guy

sync's picture
sync
Offline
Citizen
france
Joined: 06/13/2011

Personally, seeing "Checkpoint reached" written on the side of the screen is enough without having Ezio narrating.
But well, these lines are still funny to hear, especially after a massive column just collapsed, probably alerting the entire lair of Ezio's presence and nearly making him fall to his death, yet he calmly talks about the checkpoint.

PatrickDeneny's picture
PatrickDeneny
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 05/24/2010

I always notice these lines but they don't bother me too much. They seem quite unnatural and unsubtle but at least they alert us (or perhaps other less intelligent gamers Tongue) that the whole route doesn't need to be repeated if a mistake is made.

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

Ah! Too dark!!!

And if the Animus can just manufacture elements in a memory, it's not accurate. Realistically, it should just play back whatever happened to the ancestor. It doesn't matter if they remembered it one way or another. Everything is encoded in their DNA, not their mind, when every moment occurs. The ONLY reason we have to "stay in sync" is so we can do whatever we want, get hurt in fights, not screw up lairs by falling, etc.

A reason I theorized why Desmond has to go through certain memories is because he's a descendant of Adam, one of the first Humans to have the uncanny ability to shrug off the tech from the Ones Who Came Before. His body resists anything related to them, hence the beginning of AC1 and Brotherhood. I haven't read the comics or anything else about other Animus users to see if this is true, which is why I stress that it's a theory.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

previously vegetable's picture
previously vegetable
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 04/21/2011

Anyway, I said I was sorry about the lighting Tongue

I comfort myself thinking the lairs are way too bright. I mean, when was the last time you were in a big dark hall lit up by 3 small torches and could see everything clearly in your environment? Not to talk about the tunnels in the Catacombe di Roma.

Calvar The Blade's picture
Calvar The Blade
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 11/21/2010
JoeyFogey wrote:
Ah! Too dark!!!

And if the Animus can just manufacture elements in a memory, it's not accurate. Realistically, it should just play back whatever happened to the ancestor. It doesn't matter if they remembered it one way or another. Everything is encoded in their DNA, not their mind, when every moment occurs. The ONLY reason we have to "stay in sync" is so we can do whatever we want, get hurt in fights, not screw up lairs by falling, etc.

A reason I theorized why Desmond has to go through certain memories is because he's a descendant of Adam, one of the first Humans to have the uncanny ability to shrug off the tech from the Ones Who Came Before. His body resists anything related to them, hence the beginning of AC1 and Brotherhood. I haven't read the comics or anything else about other Animus users to see if this is true, which is why I stress that it's a theory.

Well that last part is not true because there have been synch problems with every animus user ever.

And as to it not being accurate, it's accurate in the important things. Does it really matter if the way that Ezio jumped across one ledge and something fell to help him get up was false? How is that going to affect anything. If something falling was important to the memory, then it's accurate. And remember, the animus adapts to however you kill your target or do certain things. It's completely accurate during cut-scenes, and I'll bet certain things DID fall like that when ezio jumped between them, but I don't think it happened EVERY time.

the posts a bit guy

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

Unless the Animus has a living, reasoning brain, how can it determine what's important and not important? It's purpose is to read and show events that happened to the ancestor, not get nit-picky and say Ezio freeing thieves is more important than him killing an archer that almost blew his cover. It's completely random, yet somehow shows exactly what Lucy/Vidic want to see. It is a flawed machine. It's not self-aware. At least, the ones used by Desmond aren't.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

Calvar The Blade's picture
Calvar The Blade
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 11/21/2010
JoeyFogey wrote:
Unless the Animus has a living, reasoning brain, how can it determine what's important and not important? It's purpose is to read and show events that happened to the ancestor, not get nit-picky and say Ezio freeing thieves is more important than him killing an archer that almost blew his cover. It's completely random, yet somehow shows exactly what Lucy/Vidic want to see. It is a flawed machine. It's not self-aware. At least, the ones used by Desmond aren't.

It's not self aware, but it's been programmed to automatically put in things to smooth the process of getting through memories, hence checkpoints and more leap of faith points than actually existed. IT doesn't know what it's doing. What it's doing is translated by the subject's mind to make things easier.

the posts a bit guy

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

How come you act like you know this stuff? I always say it's what I think, but you say in like you have Animus blueprints in your basement. O_o

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

Calvar The Blade's picture
Calvar The Blade
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 11/21/2010
JoeyFogey wrote:
How come you act like you know this stuff? I always say it's what I think, but you say in like you have Animus blueprints in your basement. O_o

OK, I'm sorry.
It is heavily implied that what I say is correct from other obviously animus-related functions and things that Lucy and Vidic have said about the animus. I am speculating, but I really do believe that anything that's obviously a gaming convention that appears in the animus part of the game is meant by Ubisoft to be easily explained away as "The Animus did it". That's what they've said when confronted about similar things in the past.

the posts a bit guy

161803398874989's picture
161803398874989
Offline
male
Joined: 12/13/2010

Guys, guys. You do not take in account how memory work. You remember only the most significant events and upon recall, the gaps are filled in, and sometimes they're off. I think that's the most likely explanation to this particular problem.

_________________

"Betraying the Assassins is never good for one's health."
"Well, neither is drinking liquor, but I'm drawn to its dangers all the same."

previously vegetable's picture
previously vegetable
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 04/21/2011
161803398874989 wrote:
Guys, guys. You do not take in account how memory work. You remember only the most significant events and upon recall, the gaps are filled in, and sometimes they're off. I think that's the most likely explanation to this particular problem.

Was just thinking about this.

I've always pictured the Animus as a "sandbox" for viewing memories. The more synch you have with your ancestor, the more accurate the memory becomes. So if you have a lot of synch, the locations where pillars break will be more accurate to what really happened, among other things.

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

That does make sense. The one reason why I can't understand Calvar's explanations is because it reads DNA memory, not the minds of the ancestors. Now, none of us are experts on fictional technology (so far) so we can't be totally sure. But someone tell me in a very logical and reasonable fashion how DNA encoded memory, implied in AC to store every moment exactly as it happened, can be shown completely differently in Animus sessions.

It's hard to think of Altair remembering every investigation he did for each target. Maybe a lot of them, but not every one. The Animus reads Desmond's DNA for those moments, whether he fully remembers them or not.

"Hey, Altair! Do you remember that time you listened in on those guards? Their friend had to deal with some family issues, so one of them got his back and made sure they weren't found out?"

Altair: "Wtf are you talking about?"

I just want something I can understand. I'm asking you guys to convince me! lol

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

previously vegetable's picture
previously vegetable
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 04/21/2011

That would explain why they are all so alike, he only remembers one or two memories, and associates the others with it. Maybe the informers looked totally different? And didn't all have the same voice? Lol.

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

Or that Ubi reused models for making their job easier.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

previously vegetable's picture
previously vegetable
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 04/21/2011

I just wanted an excuse for the unexcusable Tongue

Calvar The Blade's picture
Calvar The Blade
Offline
Citizen
male
Joined: 11/21/2010

I think that it would make sense for the animus to make up certain things to allow users to move forward in the DNA without desynching all the time. It's a straight and orderly path, DNA, but what it does is widen the path from what the ancestor originally walked, allowing for a margin of error, and flexibility with checkpoints and killing random guards. that's why the whole game isn't an uncontrolled cut-scene.

the posts a bit guy

Icefire's picture
Icefire
Offline
Citizen
male
St. Louis
Joined: 11/16/2010
JoeyFogey wrote:
That does make sense. The one reason why I can't understand Calvar's explanations is because it reads DNA memory, not the minds of the ancestors. Now, none of us are experts on fictional technology (so far) so we can't be totally sure. But someone tell me in a very logical and reasonable fashion how DNA encoded memory, implied in AC to store every moment exactly as it happened, can be shown completely differently in Animus sessions.

All DNA mutates over time, which in this case could cause the memories to become "corrupted," for lack of a better word. The differences that the animus shows are its efforts to reconcile many slightly different versions of the events, or its efforts to remove certain corrupted memory elements that might, say, have gravity reversed or some other event that obviously didn't actually happen.

Inconspicous: because nobody suspects the guy with all the weapons

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

Now that's what I've been looking for. A reason why DNA can alter the memory readings. Thank you, Icefire. You win a hat.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

161803398874989's picture
161803398874989
Offline
male
Joined: 12/13/2010

The body does have DNA repair enzymes, though, so that could explain why memories don't get lost over thousand and thousands of years. Smile

_________________

"Betraying the Assassins is never good for one's health."
"Well, neither is drinking liquor, but I'm drawn to its dangers all the same."

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

F*ck you, Phi, now we're back where we started.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

161803398874989's picture
161803398874989
Offline
male
Joined: 12/13/2010

Bad luck, then, Joey. Tongue

_________________

"Betraying the Assassins is never good for one's health."
"Well, neither is drinking liquor, but I'm drawn to its dangers all the same."

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

If you didn't know so much, I'd have agreed with your Animus theory. Tongue

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

PatrickDeneny's picture
PatrickDeneny
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 05/24/2010

Mutations still occur in both cell division processes (meiosis and mitosis) which is why we don't end up looking the same as/more similar to our parents. This could also explain memory corruptions/changes.

In reality, these mutations and changes are so random and so great that I think the memories would be completely broken up (if they did indeed exist within DNA).

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

Bringing back 6th grade science lessons to me. Now that makes a little more sense.

Patrick, you have to fight Icefire for the nice hat I gave him.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

PatrickDeneny's picture
PatrickDeneny
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 05/24/2010

What kind of hat would it be, Joey (other than an insanely awesome one)?

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

An oversized sombrero with bells hanging off it and covered in shiny, glittery things. Signed by Billie Idol.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

PatrickDeneny's picture
PatrickDeneny
Offline
Citizen
Joined: 05/24/2010

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I already have an oversized sombrero but there's no bells or shiny, glittery things. And it certainly isn't signed by Billy Idol!

It's mine, Icefire Wink

ROB_88's picture
ROB_88
Offline
Citizen
male
up north
Joined: 11/11/2009

so now we're talking about hats.
what is this, Team fortress?

Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson. They will in fact calm up

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

No, it's THB: Friendship is Magic

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

Icefire's picture
Icefire
Offline
Citizen
male
St. Louis
Joined: 11/16/2010

It's only been a day and I already lost my hat? Stare

Inconspicous: because nobody suspects the guy with all the weapons

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

It happens. Phi really stole it from you. Blame him. :3

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

161803398874989's picture
161803398874989
Offline
male
Joined: 12/13/2010

IN MY DEFENSE:
It was a really nice hat and I wanted it bad. And because this rhymes, you're no longer mad!

_________________

"Betraying the Assassins is never good for one's health."
"Well, neither is drinking liquor, but I'm drawn to its dangers all the same."

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

WITCH!

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

Jfighter777's picture
Jfighter777
Offline
Citizen
male
USA
Joined: 10/16/2010
JoeyFogey wrote:
WITCH!

Did she turn you into a Newt? BURN HER!!!!!

Note: assumption of female due to the fact that witch is a female noun.

161803398874989's picture
161803398874989
Offline
male
Joined: 12/13/2010

I am, in fact, in possession of a corpus and spirit of the male variety.

_________________

"Betraying the Assassins is never good for one's health."
"Well, neither is drinking liquor, but I'm drawn to its dangers all the same."

161803398874989's picture
161803398874989
Offline
male
Joined: 12/13/2010

42 zombies verus Joey, Patrick, Jfighter, stabguy and me.

Seriously, this isn't even a competition.

_________________

"Betraying the Assassins is never good for one's health."
"Well, neither is drinking liquor, but I'm drawn to its dangers all the same."

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

Actually, men were also called "witches" when the people were (somehow) stupider than they are now.

"That person can properly use math skills? WITCH! BURN THEM!"

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

Icefire's picture
Icefire
Offline
Citizen
male
St. Louis
Joined: 11/16/2010

Now all I can think about is Monty Python.

"She turned me into a newt!'
A newt?
...I got better..."

Inconspicous: because nobody suspects the guy with all the weapons

ROB_88's picture
ROB_88
Offline
Citizen
male
up north
Joined: 11/11/2009

so if she weighs the same as a duck...

Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson. They will in fact calm up

Icefire's picture
Icefire
Offline
Citizen
male
St. Louis
Joined: 11/16/2010

Then that means she's made of wood...

Inconspicous: because nobody suspects the guy with all the weapons

JoeyFogey's picture
JoeyFogey
Offline
Administrator
male
Indianapolis, IN
Joined: 02/16/2010

And that's how Oktoberfest started.

PSN: JoeyFogey

Steam: JoeyFogey

Instagram: joeyfogey

ThroatnDagger's picture
ThroatnDagger
Offline
Citizen
male
Kingston
Joined: 09/18/2012

wait...ROB is the duck holding anything? possibly a coconut if it's a north-african duck, which assumes another 4 ounces underneath it Big smile

"Make humble your heart Altair, or I swear I'll tear it from you with my bear hands."-Al Mualim